7.12.2009

Gosh I love quinoa

The past couple weeks I've been saving time and money by making some form of quinoa salad on Sunday night to last for lunches the rest of the week. I'm really liking this system -- it keeps well, it's never boring, and it is delish! I've definitely posted about quinoa a few times before here. If I turn even one person on to quinoa from this then my job is done.

Here is an umbrella recipe for 5 servings of Quinoa Salad:
Rinse 1 cup quinoa and cook it like rice. Mince 3 cloves of garlic and dice 1 medium yellow onion. Saute garlic and onions in olive oil until fragrant, then put in a large (I mean large) bowl with the quinoa. Add any combo of veggies, protein, and herbs, plus salt and pepper (I've been picking things based on what's on sale) and mix. For example:

Variation #1: Mexicana
2 cans black beans
Kernels from 3 ears of raw corn (it's yummy!)
1 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper

Variation #2: Italiana
1 can garbanzo beans
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large red bell pepper, diced
Kernels from 3 ears raw corn
Dried basil, salt and pepper

Variation #3: Americana? (pictured)
1 can garbanzo beans
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 green bell pepper, diced
Kernels from 3 ears raw corn
1 cup chopped baby carrots, lightly sauteed
1 cup chopped and sauteed asparagus spears
1 cup sliced mushrooms, lightly sauteed
Dried basil, salt and pepper

Dispense into tupperware for lunches:

(I ate some for dinner, so there was 4 left for the week.) I usually supplement it with string cheese, yogurt, and fruit/veggies. I tend to get hungry like clockwork at 11am (eat yogurt), 12:30pm (eat quinoa salad and fruit or veggies), and 3:45pm (eat string cheese and fruit). Gotta be prepared!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

You might try this one some time: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1906364

I made it last week and it was amazing. It has pistachios in it!

Matt said...

It never looks complicated to make.

until I start trying to make it.

Mermanda said...

Definitely going to give a few of these recipes a try! You are such a healthy eater. Inspiring :D

Anonymous said...

I was just recently introduced to quinoa and I agree that it is so good. Excellent ideas here because having a boring lunch everyday is the worst.